Some shots with one of the new (cheap!) AF macro extension sets

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,055Gear list
Like?
Re: Some shots with one of the new (cheap!) AF macro extension sets
In reply to jalywol, May 1, 2013

Thanks for the report. I am considering these as well so I am happy to hear they might be a good deal, at least if you don't really need heavy-duty stuff in this area and I don't think I do.

A couple of questions:

What makes you think the mount parts are aluminum? Simply the low weight or?

The weight specification I found on ebay for the Fotga rings is 50 g. I guess that's for both rings combined, which would make the Fotga set significantly lighter than the Kenko set (120 g combined). But does the 50 g figure I found match the actual weight as you can (hopefully) measure it?

I am a bit surprised when you say the rings work particularly well with the 100-300. The standard rule is to use extension tubes for shorter FLs and close-up lenses for longer ones since these combinations are the most efficient. You need a very strong close-up lens to increase max magnification significantly for shorter FLs. Conversely, you need a lot of tubing to increase magnification significantly with a longer tele. The max magnification of the 100-300 without any add-ons is 0.21 at 300 mm. With both tubes mounted, max magnification increases to 0.33, so not a whole lot more. With the Canon 500D +2 diopter close-up lens I bought for use primarily with the 100-300, max magnification is 0.73.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow