Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,801
Like?
10 in a row
In reply to kelpdiver, May 1, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Sorry... call it a straw man argument if you like.  But, IMO, the load cycle behavior is a real drawback to the WD Green Drives, as the constant parking/unparking of the drive heads is probably contributing to the problems with them.

BTW, a typical user isn't going to know to run utilities to try and update parameters in the drive's firmware, or how to look at SMART Data and run drive self tests, etc.

Yes, this is the definition of a straw man- you write that they have problems with head parking, and when pointed out the rather obvious solution, your reply is 'typical users don't know about this.'  That's a bad dodge. So is presenting your anecdotal information as universal truth.

And then to cite a new model with a whopping 10 reviews...is grasping at straws.

Show me a WD Green Drive that has ten 4 or 5 star reviews in a row.   

As I mentioned, sure it's too soon to determine long term reliability of a new drive design.  But, initial reviews of it at newegg.com are *all* positive.   You just don't see that kind of thing with WD Green drives (9 out of 10 five star reviews, and the other one at 4 stars).

You'd be lucky to see half as many reviews in a row without a 1 star review about problems with a WD Green Drive (1 star, only because they don't allow zero star reviews).

Again, sure, you can find utilities to change the timers related to head parking in firmware (but, a typical user is not going to realize that).

But, that's not even the main issue (although I suspect the excessive load cycles contribute to the drive problems with WD Green Models).  Sector Read errors inside of a year of use is the issue I've had with them, even though SMART data showed the firmware hadn't reallocated any bad sectors to spares (leaving them in a "pending reallocation" state instead.

IMO, that's horrible behavior, since users may not realize their disk drive is what's causing their issues until they lose important data.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AsusNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow