Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,199Gear list
Like?
Re: What's it over the EOM-D
In reply to Skeeterbytes, May 1, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

The upcoming E-P5 looks to be a nice improvement over the previous E-P3 and an slight improvement over the E-M5.  The E-P5 if the rumors are correct has improved IBIS and AF over the E-M5.  It has the same sensor and image processor so the image quality is going to be about the same.  It wil get the smaller AF box that the E-PL5 has but the E-M5 doesn't.  It gets focus peaking.  It doesn't have weather-sealing and built-in EVF.  The cost difference between the E-P5 and the E-M5 is going to be interesting.  So one just have to look at the slight differences in features and price and choice.

Olympus at CP+ had a poster that showed that the E-P5, an OMD and an E-Series cameras are coming this year.  Is the OMD going to be the OMD-pro and be above the E-M5 or is it going to be a true replacement for the E-M5.  If it is a true E-M5 replacement, lets call it E-M6, it will get the E-P5 features and be weather-sealed and have a built-in evf.  This will be really nice.  If the next OMD is going to be a pro-level camera one can only dream what it is going to be like.

Dave

As the E-P5 specs are clarified we have a much better sense of the E-M5 successor. Along with the apparently improved IBIS, AF and engine, we'll get the 1/8000 shutter (hooray!) and high-rez EVF. All are welcome enhancements to current E-M5 shooters, but is it enough to trigger a round of upgrading? For myself, I'd also want a new sensor as part of the deal and if it has PDAF, all the better. The O-MD series needs to be Oly's technology leader and not merely mirror what's already available in the Pen lineup.

Pretty sure there will be one more E-series body. Does that leave room for the mythic "bridge" body? Heck if I know.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

All sounds reasonable and is one of two reasons I am watching the E-P5 rumors.  There are a few reasons I will upgrade my E-M5.  They are better AF-C and tracking for sports and wildlife photography.  Smaller AF points where I will be able to use the histogram or blinkies or level at the same time as a small AF point.  Currently you get the 14x AF point in the zoom AF setting but loose all the other things.  It will be great to have small AF box histogram and level all in the same view.  A lower iso setting might tempt me.  An iso 50 would be great., iso 100 would be ok.  I would guess if the next OMD camera is an E-M5 replacement that it will get all the E-P5 stuff place at least one other thing.

The second reason I am watching the E-P5 rumors is that I am planning on buying my wife a new camera to replace her E-PL2.  AN EVF lives in the hotshoe of her camera.  For this reason it looks like I will be buying her an E-M5 in June instead of the E-P5.

Yes, the poster hat C+ had an E-series camera listed for this year.  I guess this means an E-6 built with some of the current technolgy that is in the E-P5 and E-M5.  Then again it could mean an pro-level MTF that can AF the FT lenses at the same or better speed than in the E-5.  I am pretty sure it means that it will be a solution for users with FT lenses.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow