G5 or XS-1

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,775Gear list
Like?
XS-1 vs EM-5
In reply to papillon_65, May 1, 2013

I received my XS-1 this afternoon (as a back-up to my EM-5) so can make a few comments (but not a direct comparison with the G5, which I looked at as a possible competitor to the XS-1 as my back-up system)

The XS-1 is larger , in fact it very closely matches my EM-5 + grip + 75-300 in size and weight, so it will be a real step up from the G5

Performance, based on very short experience:

- the view finder is suprisingly good, not quite up to the EM-5 standard (so probably not as good as the G5) but very useable at 50fps refresh rate

- focus speed and accuracy in good light were again suprising, once more - not quite up there with the EM-5 not by no means too slow

-  noise levels shooting in basic modes at 12 mpix are worse than the EM-5 (so I assume also worse than the G5), I wouldn't disagree with the ISO1600 = ISO400 noise levels, EM-5 to XS-1 BUT I haven't had a chance to use the "Pro EXR" settings yet (and was glad to see that they apparently work well)

- JPG colours and contrast look good

So, don't know if that helps. For me the XS-1 shaded out the g5 on its high frame rate still and video options (which I have a specific need for) and the fact that its non-interchangeble lens will give me a bit more confidence when shooting really mucky sand / salt shots on our local beaches and lower price (for a "complete" solution )

For me the G5 appeared a more refined, light-weight camera which should be capable of capturing higher quality images with larger file sizes but both are very good tools for the job

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow