New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,993
Like?
Re: Godox advantage + the choice between Q, E and G Re: Bargain basement QFlash X kit
In reply to plevyadophy, May 1, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

As for PWs, Phottix etc, surely peeps don't use those things with the Quantum if they are shooting Canon or Nikon?? Really? What's the point, if the Quantum stuff is already fully compatible?!!

Search me.. probably because they bought 'xyrly' triggers to fire their collection of speedlights - and they don't want to change to protect their 'investment' ?

Back to Godox -v- Quantum. One advantage I see with the Godox kit is that the capacitors are in the head which means you can use pretty much any battery you want (the same battery pack will work with either the 180W or 360W version) whereas with the Quantum you have to jettison the flexibility of the T series batteries and opt for the less flexible Qpac batts. What's your take on this?

Whats so exciting or limiting about batteries? You need at least one for every light and I have never used a speedlight with a Turbo as its totally unnecessary. Having separate power packs means you can have your weight or ballast low down on your stand, not swinging on the top. Heaven forbid you ever need to rationalise using an Elinchrom or Profoto or Bowens or whatever battery portable - their batteries are intended to only power one thing.

If one common battery is more important and works better for you than all the other benefits you lose, then go for that option.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow