Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 1, 2013

It took a little more reading in the DAM book to get a fuller picture. I might have oversimplified in my previous comment. The author follows a train of thought that explores what computers do  with image files. Features of specific programs are secondary to his argument.

About 1/3 of the way into the book, he 'lifts the hood' on PIE (Parametric Image Editing) programs. LR/AP are both PIE 'cataloging' programs. And here he makes a strong assessment. In inventing the DNG file format, and then publishing the code for anyone to use and incorporate in other image applications, Adobe ensured that it will be widely used. And thus, better ensures the longevity files written to that standard. Hell, I see today that the new Leica saves images in the camera in DNG format.

DNG isn't quite the same as TIFF or RAW (either Canon or Nikon). And this package of data is 30% smaller than TIFF. It is what Krogh terms an 'envelope' that contains not just the RAW image and Metadata. It also carries over all image edits and a preview without destruction of the original. There's some other stuff in there too that borders on digital archiving magic, but I'm not that computer savvy.

My personality doesn't lean to the 'fanboy' type. But for anyone who takes PP seriously, I would read Krogh's book. It will change your workflow for sure. It explains the rationale for image storage and preservation.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow