FX Sensor Questions and Help

Started May 1, 2013 | Questions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,659Gear list
Like?
Re: FX Sensor Questions and Help
In reply to pipee, May 1, 2013

pipee wrote:

A full frame with the same megapixel count will capture about twice as much detail as a crop frame.

Because the pixels are crammed onto a sensor half the size of a full frame it is true that D7100 is equivalent density to a 50+ megapixel fullframe. This puts a lot of strain on the lens so in real life, you will not resolve near that many megapixels.

There are many detailed explanations on why that is but I like to think in simple scenarios:

As we all know, at the same focal lengths, the full frame will be wider than a crop frame due to the cropped image. The full frame thus can get closer to the subject or zoom in to achieve a similar result to the crop frame. So it's simple, you are resolving more detail than the equivalent crop frame because you are closer to the subject.

A lens will struggle more in the corners more on a full frame because it uses a bigger area of the lens. If corner brightness and sharpness is important to you, then do research on the lens.

I'm sorry.  I can only assume you are terrible at explaining things.  Your explanation of the resolution differences between FX and DX and how close you are to the subject makes no sense at all.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow