SL1 or T4i

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,473Gear list
Like?
T4i
In reply to Displaynamehere, 11 months ago

Displaynamehere wrote:

Getting ready for my next Rebel purchase. I thought it was an easy decision - T4i with 18-135.

Today, however, the SL1 body only is the same price as the T4i with 18-55.

The SL1 with 18-55 STM is the same price as the T4i with 18-135.

So, for the same price, I would be losing the 18-135 (which is well reviewed) and the articulating screen if I choose the SL1.

You think the slightly smaller size of the SL1 is worth losing those two things? Small is good, but not the most important thing in the world to me.

SL1 has same or lower performance than the T4i in most areas.

The only feature where the SL1 may (or may not) have an improvement over the T4i is the Live View/Video AF.  The T4i has 1st generation Hybrid CMOS AF, the SL1 touts Hybrid CMOS AF II.  I haven't seen a review that compares the performance of gen I v gen II.

Buying a new camera today, I would not be an "early adopter" and would stick with the T4i + 18-135 STM over the SL1 + 18-55 STM.  If I don't need it today, I'd wait and see how much of an improvement (if any) there is in the Hybrid CMOS AF II.  Plus, if you wait, the price of the SL1 will come down a bit.

IMHO, YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
T4iNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow