Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,232
Like?
Re: Why so defensive?
In reply to MikeInIndy, 11 months ago

MikeInIndy wrote:

Grevture wrote:

In every discussion, subthreads evolve, and this particular subthread was not really aimed at the OP (which I think is obvious to most readers). What I, and several others, objected to is the tiresome and often repeated blanket statement that FX lenses are always more expensive. They are not. Which for some reason you seem to find very offending

Except they are,

Repeating falsity does not make it truth.

unless one applies your particular exception that requires factoring in sensor performance and DOF.

That is the only way to compare.

And sensor performance is a moving target, the highest DX cams of today are within a stop of first gen FX cameras and have greater DR at base ISO.

We are not comparing "highest DX cams of today are within a stop of first gen FX" are we? because that would be stupid and irrelevant. We are comparing D600 and D7100, both being today's cameras.

Also while true, not everyone thinks shallow DOF is a "good" thing.

This would be a logically incorrect proposition. There are those who know how to make good use of shallow DOF and those who don't.

The only fixed "difference" that isn't a matter of taste is focal length to achieve equivalent FOV, and comparable focal length and aperture vs comparable focal length and aperture, I really don't think you'll be able to find one lens where an FX model is cheaper than it's DX equivalent.

24-85 vs 17-55, 50 F1.8 vs 35 F1.4.

My bottom line is your argument was off topic to this thread and is based on a subjective ideal.

It is not a subjective ideal. it is the only correct way to make any comparison.

If some guy wants to shoot snapshots of his kid a D600 is overkill any way you slice it.

So is D7100 + 17-55, isnt it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow