How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,260Gear list
Like?
Re: How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?
In reply to Mel Snyder, May 1, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

M. Mitchell wrote:

I spent yesterday shooting landscape and flower pictures with my Nex 6 and Rx100. I noticed something about shooting with each camera that is not mentioned in this discussion. Using my Nex6, I had to stop down to f/16 or even f/22 to attain the depth of field that I had at f/4 or f/ 5.6 with my RX100. In landscape

You shouldn't need f/22.  I don't know if this is hyperbole to make a point, but I would have thought f8 or f11 at the most would be equivalent.  Anything more than f11 and diffraction will adversely affect the result, which may explain your lack of sharpness.

photography I prefer a very wide depth of field keeping every thing sharp from closeup to infinity.  This required that I use a slower shutter speed with the Nex6, resulting at times with an unsharp photo. I had no unsharp photos with the higher shutter speeds of the RX100.

The day was slightly windy. Because I could use a faster shutter speed with the RX100, I could only use that camera for the flower pictures.

Are you surprised? The RX-100 has a 10.4-37.1mm lens. The NEX-6 has a 16-50mm. OF COURSE you have to stop down a longer lens to get the same DOF of a shorter focal length lens.

Let's make the test fair. Take the lens off the RX-100 and put my 11-16mm Tokina on both cameras. Then we can compare apples to apples.

It may not be apples to apples, but the RX-100 is what it is, and should be tested as it is.  Of course the Nex is being purposefully limited by forcing it to only use the kit lens, but it is a test.  Either the Nex plus kit lens is inferior at 18mm or it is not.

Now does it matter?  At 30mm or 50mm, the cameras may be equal.  With another lens, the Nex is now ahead.

But if I wanted a really small, portable P&S camera, I'd have to put the RX-100 at the top of the list, to be sure.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow