New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Good info in this thread.
In reply to plevyadophy, 11 months ago

plevyadophy wrote:

The pain in the butt as I see it is that each kit has one or two features that floats my boat but then leaves out something that one of the other kits have.

Godox: having to faff around with two separate triggers;

Two triggers?  Do you mean if you are going to have TTL?  My issue is more if I want TTL I'll still be carrying around the speedlights.  So my bag will have 3 speedlights and 2 or 3 Godox's...plus the Godox triggers and the Pixel Kings (for the speedlight TTL.)

almost useless focus assist lamp;

I've long since stopped using a focus assist lamp.  It was too much of a distraction.

no TTL;

Which will require keeping the speedlights around for some event photography.

no Auto Flash Mode;

?  Do you mean with a thermistor on the flash?  This is almost useless to me.  If I'm going to use auto it has got to be TTL.

no way to switch HSS on and off from the on-camera remote control;

I'm more concerned with whether it will work with Pixel Kings.  Neutral density filters might be the way to go anyway, as you mentioned.  I just picked up a Cokin filter set.

no modeling light; no distance/range readout.

A modeling light might be nice to light a scene but they do drain batteries and I've lived just fine without them with speedlights.

Then there is the issue of whether or not a circa 200W kit (Godox 180 and Quantum T series) is worth the bother given that you are only really getting one additional stop of light in normal (non-HSS) mode when the 400W kits (forthcoming Godox 360, Elincrhom Quadra, Quantum X series) will give you that extra one stop when the power is turned down plus even more light when the power is turned up.

In some cases, behind modifiers that require a lot of light spread, they are closer to 2 stops of light, from the reviews I've read (because they don't require as much diffusion.)

My other concerns are long term durability and resale value.  I generally don't buy electronics with resale in mind, but it is a factor when upgrading.  Because the Godox are so new to the market and there are no alternatives in their price range they may be commanding a higher price than they will in a year or two (like most new products on the market.)  Unless I really need it, I avoid buying a new lens when they first are released because if I wait a year or two I can usually buy them new or used for about 50% lower.  For example, the new image stabilized 70-200 F2.8 Tamron runs about 50% more than the similar image stabilized 70-200 Sigma when you search prices on Ebay.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow