First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: DONE - Solid Advice
In reply to GregWCIL, May 1, 2013

GregWCIL wrote:

r0gue wrote:

I did it!  Yes, FINALLY!!! 

and again..  extreme thanks for the patience and input from you all.

Congratulations on your choice, Rogue. I think your choice of a lens is excellent. First, that is a lens that lets you try lots of things --from fairly wide to a moderate zoom. Remember that the D800 lets you choose crop mode which will turn your 85 into a 130 for a little more reach.)

I can tell from your posts, that you are a very analytical person. I think you will find that over the next weeks and months that lens will let you try your skills at a fairly wide range of shots. Only your own experience with it will lead you to "want something more". That "more" may be a wider lens, a faster lens for low light or a longer lens for wildlife.

My own experience is similar. I bought a D800 last fall. I got the 16-35mm VR zoom, 70-200 zoom and a 50mm1.8.  I later added a 2x teleconverter because 200 just isn't enough reach for most wildlife.

But my biggest surprise is that I use the super wide zoom most of the time. I really enjoy landscape photography and find I use it at or near the widest settings most of the time. Only your own experience will tell you what you will buy next.

Have fun and post some pics.

Greg

Wonderful explanation and advice. Spend the first 6 months or so learning the camera and you will realize what you 'miss' i.e. a low light fast lens (wider aperture) or a telephoto to get in extra close, or a wide angle for close architecture such as churches and halls or group ohotgraphy or close street photography or a fast (wide aperture) telephoto zoom for sports (as examples).

Take your time. Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow