The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,843
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to SandyF, May 1, 2013

Hi Sandy

You can't avoid bias, nobody can. It's not a character flaw, it's intrinsic in the way we process information.

I saw a study the other day in which people were made to be more charitable. All the experimenters did was asked some people some questions about taboo subjects.  Then asked them to make a charitable donation. The testees were far more likely to contribute and contribute more than a control group.  The interpretation is that taboos are so powerful that even contemplating the subject momentarily induces a need to morally cleanse oneself - hence the acts of charity. Scientists protect themselves from bias by rigorous methods, peers review and statistical approaches. Mere mortals have no chance!

Now, to your photos.   I've looked and see photos so different in files size, detail, depth of field, exposure, colour etc, that looking for any subtle rendering of depth is pointless.  What I do recognise is that the Foveon shot looks good.

I also see a separation from tulip and the blurred background that is very striking.  This is not a subtle effect so I initially thought you couldn't be referring to this but maybe you are?  If so, it's very little to do with Foveon, that's a simple DOF effect, easily demonstrable with any large sensor camera.

If this is what you mean, I'd call that a perfect demonstration of confirmation bias - a positive effect observed while using a Foveon camera is attributed to some special character of Foveon rather than the real cause.  The reverse effect often seem too - some negative quality of an image is blamed on Foveon rather than the real cause.  We are all very prone to mistaking correlation for causation.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow