Started May 1, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shibby26
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
FX Sensor Questions and Help
May 1, 2013

Hi guys, Im a 4/3 shooter and looking at upgrading my setup to a FX system or maybe a D7100 with good glass.

I enjoy shooting landscapes, wildlife, and holiday travel photos. I enjoy my current gear but the 12mp sensor is getting old and behind the competition, and doesn't give me alot of cropping when printing. Im also a new home owner with lots of empty walls for getting pictures printed.

These are the upgrade paths im looking at -

D600 + Kit 24-85VR  +  70-200 F4 ( I have good filters at 72mm already so can re use these for this kit lens.

D600 + Tamron 24-70 VC +  70-200 F4

D7100 + Sigma 17-50 + 70-200 F4

So here are some questions I need help clarifying

• I read on the d7100 review that 24mp on a APS-C sensor is equivalent pixel density of around 50+ MP on Fullframe. Does this mean then a landscape photo that doesnt require much editing at low iso will be better on a D7100?
  • If viewing a large prints I'm guessing the higher pixel count would look better?
  • I have come across a few places that say to get best results, sharpness across the frame, that FF needs to stop down alot more. IS this always the case or more on the lenses. I guess for portraiture this isnt a issue, but for travel photos/landscapes, would I have to shoot around f8 all the time for optimum settings? This may offset the iso advantage by having to up the iso to get good shutter speeds.
  • Does having larger pixels mean the sensor can capture more details?

Any other info will help or links. Theres not much price difference  in these setups maybe $400 more for the d600, and the kit lens is about the same as the sigma 17-50

Cheers

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow