New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,212
Like?
Good info in this thread.
In reply to plevyadophy, May 1, 2013

The discussion gave me an opportunity to look up the alternatives.

From where I stand it boils down to this.

Gobox/Cheetah vs. Speedlites.

1.  1-1.5 stops of light.  2-4 stops more on high speed sync.

2.  More even, wider light...especially better for more evenly filling a softbox/umbrella.

3.  5 times the shots per charge.

4.  Bigger and requires separate power pack.

5.  No TTL

6.  Similar cost to OEM speedlights.  4-5 times the cost of generic speedlights (Yognuo, Nissin)

Gobox/Cheetah vs. Q-flash

1.  About equal light.

2.  No TTL option.

3.  high speed sync option

4.  About 1/2-1/3rd the cost comparing full systems (flashes, triggers and power packs.)

Gobox/Cheetah vs. small portable monolights like Huff's.

1.  1/2 the light...or even less.

2.  Much smaller and lighter.

3.  About the same cost.

Gobox/Cheetah vs. Elinchrom Ranger.

1.  No modeling light.

2.  1/2 the power.

3.  1/3rd to 1/4 the price for a system of flashes, triggers and power packs.)

Other considerations/thoughts.

1.  Tons of modifers available for all...can use same Bowen's type speedlight brackets.

2.  Future expansion will bring more power and studio lights which work with same controls.

3.  Ability to add on TTL in future with smarter controller????

I'm a big fan of speed lights because they are so darn portable, however, I do wish for more power and more even lighting sometimes.  The Gobox/Cheetah might just have enough extra oomph to move them from 95% to 99% of the work I do (compared to speedlights over monolights.)  Down the road I could pick up a single 360 unit which will work with the same accessories and make that 99.99%.

Seems to me we have a viable new value choice in the market, just like Yognuo triggers are a value choice vs. Pocket Wizards, or Nissin speedlights vs. OEM.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow