New work laptop: Macbook Pro or Win7?...

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,773
Like?
New work laptop: Macbook Pro or Win7?...
May 1, 2013

I am approved to get a new laptop for my work. It will be my main office computer. I currently have 2 24" Dell u2410's on my desk. The system will be used general MS office work and digital content creation and editing (web design, HD vid, 3ds Max/Maya, After Effects, pShop, Illustrator, Corel Draw ect).
I am considering getting a Macbook Pro. My co worker got a nice one approved and I could get the same, 15" Retina, 500GB ssd,  16GB RAM (a pretty decent Laptop). I am not certain what kind of win7 machine I can get approved, it would have to be a Dell or HP. For heavy duty video or 3d rendering, I could always slip into a lab or edit bay with a fairly powerful Win7 workstation.

At home I have a an i7 six core, 32GB RAM and Samsung 830 256GB ssd, with two Dell u2713H's powered by an nVidia 660ti card. It screams. Most of my hard core content work I  do at home, which is fairly close to work (15 min). Heavy 3d/HD video renders can be done at work as well (render farm on week ends), but for video, I have to tote my RAID array around.

I have been using both Macs and PC's for graphics since the early 90's. I am an expert level win7 user (system install & configuration) and a pretty decent Mac user. I use to be very technical with system 7 ect, but haven't done system level control with osX, which is part of why I'd like to get to know it better again. I never really pay much attention to which OS I am in since the apps are nearly the same. I prefer the Windows interface for file mgt, but really what are a few more clicks here and there? I will manage the system  myself.

I would need to set up the Mac Book pro as a dual boot. Since the Macbook Pro 15" has no optical drive, how will I reformat and reconfigure it? Will I need an external optical drive to reinstall osX, boot camp and win7? How does the touch pad work with win7? Could I run 2 external 24" monitors from it?

My main attraction to the mb Pro is its design (slim and light) and that I could run the Mac osX. My main fear is that it won't play nice when I am in windows. I don't what size and shape of Windows laptop, I could justify, but am fairly sure I could get something with more processing power than the mb Pro. It's likely be a big square brick like design, because form factor arguments will not hold much sway with my IT dept, only specs.

Any advice?

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow