Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Re: Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.
In reply to Rmark, May 1, 2013

Rmark wrote:

Actually I believe EVF are much cheaper than a well engineered pentaprism and mirror on optical viewfinders.  I don't think optical viewfinders will be buried any sooner than windshields in cars are replace by digital displays , or windows in houses replaced by CCTV and widow sized monitors.

Very true, OVF systems are the format of choice of Pro photographers and semi-pros as they still outsell any EVF systems year to year currently.

Sony has EVF with SLT (transluscent mirror design) in their DSLRs but the other major camera makers still use OVF in DSLRs: Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus (DSLR E5). Some pros have adopted the Sonys. The other manufacturers are still making OVFs in DSLRs because most pros want OVF or bright viewfinders of natural images to view in my opinion. Supply and demand.

Mirrorless while getting better all the time doesn't offer all the high speed advantages of advanced DSLR and fast phase AF detection. Not yet anyway. Even ask OMD users how their camera will compare to a D800, D3, D700 or a 7D or Canon FF for sports coverage in low light.

The unique design of the Sony may be the only exception for great EVF and AF capture in their latest FF.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-M1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow