Problem with my 500 II & 1D4, need advice...

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,506
Like?
Problem with my 500 II & 1D4, need advice...
Apr 30, 2013

A few days ago I received my new 500 f4 IS II. I've been using it with my 1D4, mostly taking test shots. But I have a problem that I'm trying to figure out.

Every now & then when I press the shutter button half way, the lens will not AF. It doesn't hunt, just no AF taking place. In other words, nothing happens. I tried pointing the lens towards other objects, far away and near, and of different contrast. Still, it won't AF. To correct the problem I have to turn the camera off and on again, then it's back to normal.

Of about 300 test shots I've taken, this happened 7 times. Both with stationary subjects and while panning, and with/without the 1.4x III. I've used my 1D4 with my 300 f2.8 IS and 70-200 f2.8 IS II, and never had this problem. It started with the 500 II. I don't know if the problem is with the lens, or the lens/camera interface. The electrical contacts on the lens and camera are perfect (bought the camera new last year).

Anyone have a problem like this? I have a couple of weeks to send the lens back, but I really don't want to do that. Otherwise the lens is great.

Any ideas?

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow