New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Re: Profoto,why? Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 30, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

the likes of McNally are somehow less pro or less able than the others because he doesn't use a Bron or Profoto is plainly absurd; I mean have you seen that famous shot of his where he lights up an airplane with just f*kin* speedlights? Just bloody awesome; he's a lighting master and probably doesn't need or want Profoto gear.

Joe is a master for sure.  But I'm curious, are you talking about the stealth jet he photographed for National Geographic?

On the one I saw, he used 8 speedlights and 2 Profotos (they lit the plane's wing edges using strip banks and triggered the speedlights that were used to lightup the underbelly of the plane) and then you have to consider the sun had a part in the overall plan too.

I have seen references to Joe shooting an F22 with Speedlights, though I don't know if he used other lighting as well.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow