GH3 - Who says that m43 is not good for sports !!!

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,164Gear list
Like?
Re: Jorginho nailed it...
In reply to marike6, Apr 30, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Look this is all pretty static. Also, you show what many do not like all too much either: everything is in focus. No object isolation.

The problem with CDAF are moving subject, fast ones. Especially to you or away from you. Birds in flight; the same thing.

DSLRs are much better here, not just, much better.

What data do you have to support that judgment?

If you are saying that the best PDAF cameras will beat the best CDAF in this area, I am ready to agree. But the gap is shrinking all the time and the latest generation of CDAF can stand a comparison with more ordinary DSLRs.

I'd have to agree with Jorginho.  Even entry level DSLRs like a T4i or D3200 (and the Nikon 1) are miles ahead of most mirrorless cameras for AF tracking.

He's also 100% correct about subject isolation.  Look through any Sports magazine like Sports Illustrated and you'll see a dramatic difference in subject/background separation.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that all virtually all of the long telephoto lenses in m43 are amateur telezooms, with dark f5.6 max apertures and slow AF motors.  This fact coupled with the compromised DOF of the 2 x's crop sensor means they simply cannot begin to compete with the lenses most FF sports photographers use.

Do entry level DSLRs even have AF tracking (as in following the subject across the viewfinder as it moves from sensor to sensor). I thought that was limited to the 7d and up.

I trust your not mixing up continuous AF with AF tracking.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow