Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Availability.
In reply to Richard, Apr 30, 2013

Richard wrote:

This is a possibility, availability. I will look around at the 2 camera shops we have here in town and see if either sell them. If not then I would have to agree, lack of exposer and availability locally could be a reason. But then I would ask are they readily avail in other markets like Europe in stores on shelves.

No problems with availability here in the UK. I live in a town, pop 300,000, and I can walk 20 minutes from my house to the best department store right in the centre, and play around with an E-M5, E-PL5, G5 and GF5. And they stock the 20mm lens too (but that is the only additional m43 lens they stock).

You'll notice I said Department Store and not Camera Store. We don't really have Camera Stores in the UK any more, a combination of chronic mismanagement and having Amazon be able to undercut them because Amazon hasn't paid a penny of corporation tax in the UK for the last 3 years, meant that the 2 major chains of Cameras Stores folded last year.

The staff at one Jessops Store put a large "Thank You for Shopping at Amazon" sign in the window on the day the store was shut for good.

We have just one "big box" chain left too. They don't tend to have a very good selection of any ILCs, Mirrorless or DSLR. Just row upon row of P&S (and the real entry level, POS, less that £99 ones usually).

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow