The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to DMillier, Apr 30, 2013

DMillier wrote:

All that aside, Sandy's description of the "roundness" of Foveon images (as opposed to "flat") is an interesting observation. I've never seen anything that suggests this happens in my own images but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in other circumstances. It doesn't mean it does either: it's perfectly possible that once someone gets the idea in their head that Foveon does this or does that, they subconsciously sift through images until they find something that matches the expectation and this creates confirmation bias (which they will then deny resolutely, as that is what confirmation bias does). It seems to me that a 3 way shoot out between film, Bayer and Foveon might be useful (if we assume that the Bayer CFA is causing losses rather than Foveon having magical properties).

I see the "3D" quality, the (new term) "roundness" or apparent substance in some, not all images, so I don't think it's just my imagination or "bias." And lots of other people have described the same thing.  Have you LOOKED at my photo examples in original sizes (the ones on flickr). Do you or do you not personally see the differences? I mean, my husband saw differences in an instant, and he doesn't do photography.... and has no innate 'bias' believe me.

PS: and I should add, what we were looking at were in-cam JPEG to in-cam JPEG, NOT RAW to JPEG X3F files that I'd massaged in SPP LOL. PSELements shows up and catalogues the in-cam JPEG when I shoot RAW+JPEG ....even though it cannot read the Merrill RAW.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow