Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837Gear list
Like?
Re: Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 30, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

jonikon wrote:

Lack of phase detection type auto focusing (which can track moving subjects), is the biggest shortcoming with m4/3 cameras of today that still use the antiquated CDAF focusing system found in pocket cameras. I just visited Disneyland and saw a lot of DSLRs (mostly Nikon), but heard at least one owner of a m4/3 camera curse it for not being able to focus their kid on a ride. Luckily I had a Nikon V1 with on-sensor PDAFthat works great for for focusing on fast  moving subjects, so no worries for me! 

- Jon

Chances are, that person would have cursed the camera regardless. Chances are, I could have taken the same image with manual focus as I do most of the time (when using my NEX).

Why make more work for yourself and use a crippled camera with manual focus when there are more capable AF systems like the Nikon 1 cameras?

Manual focus is old school and not acceptable for fast action photography. I used MF back in the day because I had to, but I don't use MF anymore unless I absolutely have to focus through something, (like a fence).

I don't drive manual transmission cars anymore either, as the heavy traffic of today has made a stick shift a real nuisance, and the new automatic transmissions are very smooth and efficient nowadays. I like  the new auto-magic!  

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow