New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,958
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to John Deerfield, Apr 30, 2013

John Deerfield wrote:

We have debated this the entire thread. Take TTL out of the equation and there is no advantage to the Quantum system. The 400ws flash is a red herring. A single 400ws unit runs $1500 and that does NOT include the TTL adapters. That leaves the 160ws version... on either a Godox battery or a ridiculously over priced Quantum battery. But no matter what batter you choose or how you slice it, the only advantage to the Quantum will be the TTL and that "feature" runs several hundreds of dollars more. Now if someone needs that feature, then the hundreds of dollars are worth it. For me, it isn't.

Take away what makes Quantum different and theres no difference...?  Right..

What TTL adapters? A 'D' adapter that connects the flash to the camera to use TTL? These are unnecessary if you operate your flashes remotely (even in a 'controlled' environment outside). The Pilot, CoPilot and Trio controllers all have inbuilt TTL control and the remotes just need one receiver to use it. The Godox doesn't have focus assist on its radio controller does it? It basically has no camera integration, No TTL at all, not even Auto, no Auto-Fill, no Exposure Compensation, no Auto limiter, not even on a hotshoe.. and you actually NEED to switch ON and OFF the focus assist on the flash unit by hand as well.

The T and X Quantum flashes are designed to integrate with both Nikon and Canon.. Change your camera system - your lights still remain compatible. Want to control them by your Speedlights - you can. Want to control your Speedlights with the Quantum system - you can.

Why is a 400Ws a 'red herring' The 400Ws version is no different in operation to an 80Ws version and they are all controlled by the same controller. You can't do that with any other system and in the context of Godox - Quantum - Elinchrom it illustrates the versatility that the Quantum system provides which the others don't. You pay for versatility, it saves you from needing to double up on  equipment or being left in the lurch.

Heres an interesting fact since you like quoting costs.. I bought an almost new 400Ws X5d-R, 2 QPAQ's, 200Ws booster and an International AC adapter for $500 recently. Thats 1/3 of the cost you're quoting comparing new prices and less even than a new Godox 180 kit costs. All that functionality and increased output you can get for so much less.

All of my lighting is location lighting   I use Nikon flashes when I need TTL (run and gun) and Einsteins everywhere else. If I had to do it all over again, I would do the same thing. I don't need to plug any gaps because my configuration just works. However, if I could change something, I would use Profoto's... even though they don't offer TTL.

I use Quantum and Bowens. I wouldn't change anything. Neither Quantum nor Bowens were justified by being cheap and the versatility of the Quantum's have proven themselves over and over in numerous situations which is why I would recommend them.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow