The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,251Gear list
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to DMillier, Apr 30, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Sorry, do you mean that the older Sigmas have the same flatness or they don't?

With respect to on screen viewing, it's not a fair fight to compare Foveon and Bayer at 100%. Generally Bayer sensors have more pixels than equivalent generation Foveons and they need them too.  That means to get a fair representation you need to upsample the Foveon to the same size as Bayer and compare then. Alternatively you can downsample the Bayer although that risks throwiing away data.

Best of all is compare prints where you have a level playing field.

-- hide signature --

Seems to me the only level playing field would be to print out the images at 13x19 or larger.  Why should I upsize my perfectly fine raw image to suit another camera?  Why should I downsize my bayer image to suit another camera for comparison. Just print them out. Your eyes will see the difference.  This has been an ongoing argument since 2004 and its a tired one.

If you can stand the sophomoric humor of this video---at the end of it the D800E images are compared with the tiny DP2M printed out large.  Thats how you compare cameras.  This nonsense of upsizing and downsizing is absurd.  Just print out the images on the same size prints and have at it.

http://youtu.be/f3VjyHQiqdE

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow