Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Re: About OSS degrading image quality
In reply to Section10, Apr 30, 2013

Section10 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Section10 wrote:

Sony should just come with a disclaimer: OSS has been known to offend skilled photographers and force them to defend their shooting competence.

It would take the truly incompetent to be unaware that Sony is offering OSS on its NEX-series, whereas this thread isn't about Sony.

unaware? Why would Sony put a disclaimer up on a product they're not offering? 

So the consensus for some people is that OSS, which Sony presumably spent thousands/millions of dollars on to design and ENHANCE photo quality............degrades quality.

OSS was not designed to enhance photo quality, it was designed to reduce the effects of hand shake when taking a photo. The time when hand shake can affect a photo is typically (not always of course) when the shutter speed drops below 1/FL. This means if you're using a 35mm lens and the shutter speed of the photo you are about to take is set to 1/60 and above, as long as you are holding the camera steady OSS is likely not doing anything to help with the photo.

There's a time and place for each feature on a camera, posting pictures of when NOT to use them does not aid your point, just makes you look silly.

Why do you come to this forum? I come here to learn new things about my chosen camera platform, and hearing about things that don't work is to me probably more important than hearing about things that do work.

Posting a picture of your f1.4 and 1/5 shutter speed out in the sunlight does not make the wide aperture lens look like bad quality......(It's you)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow