New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,166
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to UKphotographers, Apr 30, 2013

Either you use TTL or you don't. You obviously do.

So now you agree that I do use TTL? In another post you didn't? Getting hard to follow.

The thing with having it is that you can switch TTL off if you want to, making your lights Manual. If you don't have it - you can't switch it off and need another system to plug the gap.

Using your paradigm, I will always need something to "plug-the-gap". 400ws isn't enough for me, TTL or not.

I fail to see how a Godox might be suitable as a studio flash 'for controlled situations' without having a modelling light.

And now we add modeling lights? Since when does Quantum have a modeling light? Maybe something has changed, but mine never did. So by that paradigm, the Quantum wouldn't be a suitable studio flash and hence, you will need to fill that gap. Or, maybe Quantum has added a modeling light... from a battery back? I can't see where that would be useful. I don't find 100 watt modeling lights all that useful. Get a modeling light behind something even as simple as a brolly and 100-watts doesn't make a dent. Even the modeling light in something like an Alien Bee is of dubious benefit. At least the Einstein has a 250-watt modeling light and that is getting useful. But you typically don't run it on the battery unless you have plenty of batteries with you!

Look, we are obviously never going to agree. We have two very different approaches. Obviously, there isn't a one size fits all solution and that's a good thing. I am never going to convince you that Quantum isn't the best thing since sliced bread and you will never convince me that it is. So I wish you the best.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow