New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021
Like?
Re: Profoto,why? Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger?
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 30, 2013

Hi,

just curious as to why you would go for Profoto gear?

Thanks.

To be honest, if I had unlimited funds, I would probably take a long hard look at both Broncolor and Profoto before making a decision. I have use an Elinchrom set up and wasn't impressed. There was nothing wrong with it by any means.... very nice stuff. But to my minds eye it's is either the really expensive low end or inexpensive high end. A great niche, but so long as I am dreaming I may as well dream. I haven't really used Profoto, but I have been in a studio where they were being used and I just liked them: build, quality of light, functionality, etc. I have never had the opportunity to work with Broncolor but they are one of the best as well so that is what i would be looking at: Broncolor or Profoto.

But let me be clear, the type of shooting I do now doesn't require that kind of lighting. I just admire that lighting. If I look at Marcus & Indrani, or Lindsay Adler, they are using Broncolor. Or Annie Leibovitz or Greg Heisler using Profoto. It seems that the greats are usually using one or the other. I see a lot of photographers endorsing Elinchrom (Kelby Training, Joe McNally) but when I see professional shoots I am usually seeing Broncolor or Profoto.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow