Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mittskitts
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Re: Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…
In reply to Grobb, Apr 30, 2013

tron555 wrote:

… Consider how many expensive lenses are absolutely needed, just to cover your basic needs?

With the caveat that I am not a lens snob, and while I am an avid photographer but do not classify myself as an "enthusiast": First, consider the words "expensive" and "absolutely needed" and "basic needs"...

The lenses do not have to be the most "expensive" ones on the market to meet "basic needs", and a lot of them are not "absolutely needed" for general use.

Here is my usage based on 3 years of micro four thirds ownership (E-PL1, bought in 5/10):

The kit lens, while frequently dismissed on forums almost as a throwaway, is actually quite good. I use it hands down more than any lens in my bag. It is quite versatile and gives great results. I only use my telephoto lens (an Olympus 4/3 40-150mm with the adapter) when needed, and while it is an older 4/3 model lens, it actually gives very sharp pictures. It is low priced. My most expensive m4/3 lens purchase is the Olympus 9-18mm which I don't use very often, but it is a truly nice lens especially for scenic vistas and I wish I had bought it before a long road trip through the national parks, but I waited for the annual Olympus lens sale to buy it. I have the Panasonic 20mm and it is great for low light situations, but I don't use it very often. I just bought the Olympus 17/2.8 on Olympus' spring lens sale (it showed up yesterday) and so far I am very impressed (my expectations were guarded, based on the frequent criticism it gets, but I gave it a try based on the pictures I have seen online--I probably did not need it because I already have the 20/1.7, but well, curiosity got the better of me). Eventually, I am going to get an even longer telephoto, but haven't yet opened the checkbook for that.

Some of the people here with legacy lenses seem to be getting great results with those lenses and adapters (see Tedolph's posts).

I expect that the newer micro four thirds cameras are an improvement on mine, but mine still does a great job and I haven't felt the need to replace it yet.

So, the point is, you can get great photos with micro four thirds without breaking the bank. I had a colleague who had a policy of buying "last year's model" on sale to keep the cost of his photography hobby down, and he took the most amazing pictures.

Mittskitts's gear list:Mittskitts's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus SH-50 Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow