Should I get the Oly 75mm?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,859Gear list
Like?
No.....
In reply to Rjansenbr2, Apr 30, 2013

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Probably there is someone in the same situation.

I have an OM-D and have been using the 45mm 1.8 as a portrait lens. I really like it, but now wonder if I should also get the Oly 75mm.

the Oly 75mm has an equivalent FOV of 150mm on FF.  This gives a very flat appearance to faces.  OK for europeans with big noses but will make an Asian or Pacific Islander look like a child.

My concern is if it will really make a night and day difference in comparison with the 45mm, specially in terms of shallow DOF

You do not want DOF shalllower than the 45mm can produce.

and overall quality for portraits (mainly of my newborn daughter, who is now the inevitable model of all my pics). Do you think the FOV is too awkward?

Yes, especially for a child-see above.

With a newborn, you could actually get away with using a 20mm lens for full body shots.

After all, the USD 900 price tag isn´t that cheap for family photos...

Anyone has experience with both lenses?

Look at some photography books that show the effect of different focal lenghts on portiats.

There is a reason the conventional focal range for portrait photography is 85-105mm on FF  (42-52mm on 4/3 sensor).

Regards

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow