The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to DMillier, Apr 30, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Hi Sandy

Do you get this freedom from "flatness" with earlier Foveon's or just the Merrill versions? Reason I ask is because I don't see anything of the effect with my Sigmas. Also interested in knowing whether anyone else who sees this effect sees it with film too or with mono only digital. In other words is it a fault introduced exclusively by the Bayer CFA.

Similar lack of flatness has been my experience with the other Sigma cameras. You can compare my SD15 shots with side-by-sides from the Nikon too... and I have the same impression with my Sigma versus Canon 5DII output. I process entirely in SPP (except for an occasional cropping which I do in other software).

But I use Adobe's PSElements mainly to have a chronological catalog of my photos with various cameras. My favorite feature really in Elements is the ability to put up on-screen side-by-side views of 2 different photos and then to look at 100% magnification of both. Very revealing. That's what husband and I were looking at yesterday and he commented that the Sigma shots seemed more realistic.

I'll agree with you that I do not necessarily see this in the prints I've done. That's a separate subject. I'm talking about a plastic-y look of leaves and foliage when viewing at 100% magnification on screen. Look at the leaves of the trillium or the leaves of plants in what we call the dragon tooth wall... or the bleeding hearts, etc.

FWIW and to repeat my experience with the DP2Merrill: I took many photos I liked with the DP2Merrill last year based on ISO100, but then I tried using it at ISO200 in January and really messed up my exposure(s) on most Death Valley photos I think. Now I'm back to other settings... start at ISO100 with +.3EV too as starting point! I put the camera on these recent shots at ISO125 to try to increase the shutter speed and shot at what is for me, wide f/ stops. Seems to have worked. Practicing for Hawaii foliage....

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow