About OSS degrading image quality

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,147Gear list
Like?
Re: About OSS degrading image quality
In reply to KM Legacy, Apr 30, 2013

KM Legacy wrote:

Sensor shift has similar issues with positioning or alignment, but not with adding extra elements.  Also, sensor shift can be problematic above 200 or 300mm as it just can't move enough to correct for the shake.

No IS system can cope with an unlimited amount of shake.

Correct, but OSS can deal with more since it is inside the lens (they can put it in a position where not as large of movements are necessary).  If your sensor can only shift 2mm you can't correct for much shake with a telephoto.

For example, if your vertical field of view is only 1.8 degrees[1] at 500mm on 1.52x crop camera, if you pitch the camera forward 1 degree, the sensor would have to move half its frame height, or for the 1.52x crop factor sensor with a height of 15.6mm, it would have to move about 8mm to correct for that shift.  With a 50mm lens and 18 degree vertical field of view, the sensor would only have to shift about 1mm for the same correction.

This is why much above 100 or 200mm IBIS systems start to not work well.  They correct very small movements okay, but any larger movement is going to be uncorrectable.  There are still issues with in lens stabilization of course, but they can design each lens accordingly and make the most use of the system.  I think the ideal system would use both, us OIS for longer lenses and IBIS for shorter focal length lenses.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow