Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
Re: Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.
In reply to Richard, Apr 30, 2013

Richard wrote:

I have been thinking it over. After seeing rattymouse post some figures how m4/3rds was declining in the US and how DSLRs crushed m4/3rds, I contemplated why. I came up with a good answer.

For a Canon t4i body price on B&H is $650
For the Oly OMD it is $950

Weight Canon 1.2 lbs
Oly just under 1lbs (15oz)

Standard lens Canon 50 1.4   $400 on sale right now $310  10 OZ

Zuiko 45 1.8  $400 on sale right now $350   4 OZ

A savings of $340 and 9 OZ more weight, neither fit in your pocket.

For the average use the Canon is the better deal. Sure a niche market person may pay extra for the oly but not the masses. This is not to say the masses are the smartest consumers but I know the canon works well enough for the average user.

I am thinking this is a good reason for the decline.

How many people buy a 70-200 2.8? Many only purchase the kit lens. Both can take great photographs on vacation, of the kids just about anything accept pro level stuff.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a stigma, a public perception, that the big DSLR = best quality.  I just got into the DSLR world within the past year even though I've long loved photography.

This story or example sums up my opinion: I bought the Sony RX100 ($650) last fall and when I bring it out no one thinks anything of it, I guess it's discrete in appearance, but no looks, no comments, nothing.  I then bought a Nikon D5100 refurb for $439 w/ kit lens and you wouldn't believe how many people see the camera and say "oooh I want a camera like that".  These people are in the "non-enthusiast" market but somehow they believe a DSLR is what they need, that it'll give them better pictures than their compact point and shoot that gives them blurry photos sometimes.  I'm in my mid 30's and I have several friends in their mid 30's with kids and quite a few, often lead by the wives, have bought DSLR's because that's how you get the best photo quality for taking pics of the kids.  These wives throw a big ole best buy DSLR into their purse and lug it around.  They don't really know how to use it, don't know what ISO is, only have the kit lens, etc... but they know they are getting great pictures because they have the big ole DSLR.  Obviously not everyone is like this, but I know several and IMO the perception piece of the equation is a huge piece and sways people heavily towards DSLRs.

For me, not that you asked, but I love my RX100 for times when I want pocketability, and for the other times, like going out for sunrises or serious work (which usually involves a tripod), size isn't a big concern, I'm already lugging a tripod and other crap, so I'm perfectly fine with the DSLR's size and a couple lenses.  I don't need a "medium", or in-between, option (so no m4/3rds for me).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow