New article on color management

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,026
Like?
Re: Camera-->sRGB versus Camera-->ProPhoto-->sRGB
In reply to crames, Apr 30, 2013

crames wrote:

If you are converting in the usual ways - relative colorimetric intent in PS, standard sRGB and ProPhoto profiles, and without any editing while in ProPhoto to ameliorate gamut clipping, I don't think there will be any visible difference. The correct way under these conditions would be the direct Camera->sRGB, to avoid an extra color space conversion.

Ok

Another way to do it is to use the v4 ICC profiles for sRGB and ProPhoto, which contain perceptual intent tables for the purpose of performing a proper gamut mapping to the smaller space. I remember trying them but not getting good results.

I have a V4 profile for sRGB but not ProPhotoRGB.  Is there a problem to mix and match?

Yet another approach was discussed a couple years ago on LuLa by "jc" who developed a method using a profile for an intermediate-sized color space, also having a perceptual table. It seemed to work as advertised. The thread is a little hard to follow, but clarifies a few pages in.

Very interesting thread.  Is it worthwhile to go through the double conversion process?  Is anybody using his 'perfect' color space?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow