Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deleted080512
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Alternate income
Apr 30, 2013

On this forum, it seems that everybody is considering money-making from actual photography to be the only way to make money from photography. For me, it just doesn't work like that. I've never found anybody actually willing to pay for *photography*. Sure - had a few people/organizations that have but not enough to make it worthwhile.

But... I do make money from photography though I think the market for photography itself is utterly dead. I ran a spectacularly unsuccessful website advertising my photography. I just couldn't get any visitors no matter how much money I threw at the blasted thing. I changed my focus to using photography to provide content for books that I write and for blogs that I run. The books make a nominal profit but more than I was making before. Think in terms of a weeks wage a year out of two books. It's not much but more than I was getting from actual photography. My blogs both now seem to get visitors but the blogs aren't what make the money - it's the advertising I carry that makes the money.

So, my photography income is... alternative but I get it.

So, what kind of equipment do I use? Well, it very much depends upon what I am writing about on the blogs. One entry used a simple Canon XT and Tamron 17-35 lens for most of the images and the rest of the images were taken with an inexpensive cellphone. At the 1024x768 image size used in the blogs, it's very hard to tell the difference between the cameras. I shoot raw with the Canon and jpeg with the phone.

Do my blogs make money? Yes they do - about the same as the books right now though it's early days since I've just set my 5 Twitter accounts to broadcast to my 15,000 Twitter followers with the blog addresses. Crucially, hits on the blogs are increasing and hence of course advertising revenue.

Something to think about... Photography is dead as a stand-alone income method. Like computer programming, it's not a stand alone income - it's something that produces income when combined with something else and then becomes worthwhile.

As far as cameras are concerned, once we went beyond 6 megapixel, megapixel counts largely ceased to matter. Very few people want prints greater than 10 x 8. I don't think the quality of 35mm camera lenses is high enough to merit very large pixel counts. I certainly think Nikon's 36 megapixel camera is a bad buy because I just don't think the lenses are up to that level of resolution. For blogs etc and online content, the camera is increasingly irrelevant. Even an all-in-one zoom can do everything needed with the bonuses of everything already being in JPEG, being able to do video and being compact.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow