GH3 - Who says that m43 is not good for sports !!!

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
AF-S slow in low-light
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 30, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Look this is all pretty static. Also, you show what many do not like all too much either: everything is in focus. No object isolation.

The problem with CDAF are moving subject, fast ones. Especially to you or away from you. Birds in flight; the same thing.

DSLRs are much better here, not just, much better.

But the very fast AF in good light here helps of course. I have GH2 and EPl5 and EPL5 is already a bit better than my GH2. GH3 is may be even better. But from what I have seen and heard it is not there (at all) yet.

I really would like to have 5 fps with AF tracking that keeps up and not just jumps to another subject that is standing still. Or not an AF system that starts to hunt when I want to shoot a bird in flight, which the GH2 (again) does even worse than my EPl5.

So: you can do it, but what is meant that it can't do it nearly as well as a 7D or a D7000 or D5200 for instance.

I agree. AFC is still better with DSLR's, but maybe not for much time.

Why has m43 or mirrorless vendor other than the Nikon with the Nikon 1 made any progress at all with AF Tracking?  Other than the Sony NEX-5R and X100s, which are still nowhere near the Nikon 1 for AF tracking, I can't think of any.

But the AFS is amazing on the Micro 4/3 system.

In good light, AFS is fast.  In low-light, even modern cameras like the E-PL5 or OMD are slow and will hunt.

OMD - GH2 Low-Light AF Test

AFC with MFT cameras is not bad at all.

It's 2013.  Considering m43 has been around for years, vendors have had plenty of time to implement some kind of on-sensor PDAF.  The Nikon 1 with it's very first camera offered close to pro DSLR level PDAF with remarkable robust AF tracking.

Perhaps Panasonic and Olympus never imagined that people would want to use their cameras for action or BIFs.  But when you consider the reason that most soccer moms and dads buy their cameras, to shoot their kids playing sports, this is surprising.

It's a pity that Olympus is dumping Four Thirds, as with those lenses, and PDAF on a camera like the E-5, at least users had some choices if they wanted to shoot action or their kids soccer match.

One of the reasons why the Nikon 1 cameras are top-selling on Amazon, in spite of their inferior IQ to m43 cameras is that "they just work", to quote Apple.  No nonsense hunting, super robust AF tracking and 15 fps WITH AF (not like the slow 4 fps with AF tracking that you get on the Olympus m43 cameras).

Things may improve with the next generation of cameras, but it's going to have to be a better implementation of PDAF than Sony did with the NEX-5R.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow