The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to Oliver_B, Apr 30, 2013

Oliver_B wrote:

Ah well, welcome to the club

Look at the bright side: You will save oodles of money. In the future, every time you are tempted by a new Bayer cam for its frills, bells and whistles, speed, high-iso goodness and whatnot, just find a sample picture. View it at 50% and be sceptical for its generall liflessness. View it at 100% – and be safe. The mush, the mush…

My current situation: I've been shooting with a SD15 a lot for the past months, trying to decide which lenses to take for it on a May-June trip. Hadn't been using the DP2Merrill much. SD15 is nice in color, output from the camera needs little editing in SPP. SD15 will be my DSLR, I'm leaving the Canon 5DII at home.

I also just bought a "16MP" Nikon Coolpix AW100, little orange point & shoot which is waterproof... and thus for my intended usages, sand, dirt and moisture proof. Talk about bells and whistles.... "modes" "scenes" no RAW, no aperture priority control which is annoying... and often funky colors. But it will serve its purpose, in conditions where I wouldn't use the DP2Merrill or DSLR.

Bottom line on image quality: look at some of my examples on flickr. Nikon seems to have good leaf, blades of grass, foliage capture, but surfaces are plastic looking when you examine side by side with similar Sigma shots. No 'depth' or sense of roundness for example on subjects such as tulips.. flat. I showed husband on-screen views of in-cam DP2Merrill vs Nikon AW100 JPEGs yesterday and he picked out the Sigma every time.
I'm back to being pleasantly shocked by the sharpness and detail and apparent "depth" of the DP2Merrill... though I've had it since last August. I'm shooting it as a starting point at ISO100, +.3EV, spot or center area metering usually, sometimes evaluative. I process only in SPP, and I start off with standard colormode and often change to landscape on my... landscapes and florals.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, new DP2Merrill photos)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow