RoxanneY
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: More questiona about the a77 and a99
In reply to cosmonaut, Apr 30, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

RoxanneY wrote:

Hi all!

I have a 550alpha SAM1855/SAM55200 and decided that I'd upgrade my camera to get better quality images. I received my a77 on Friday and so far have been happy with the outdoor/indoor pics w/flash that I've taken.  I can definitely see an improvement in my photos!  Still I have my doubts that this is sensitive enough for the chorus (dark theater with lit stage) type shots. We are not allowed to use a flash during the performance. I've been debating whether or not to return the a77 and get the a99 instead ..thinking an investment now will mean no upgrading in the future.

Is the a99 really that more sensitive than the a77?  I took an okay picture without flash from the 3rd row with my 550alpha a few weeks back, but it looked much better with flash.  Is the lens quality of the Sony 70-200 F2.8 such that this same shot have the same image quality if I took it from the back of the room  instead?  Or could I get a better image from the 3rd row with a 16-50 F2.8 or similar?  Or would it be much improved if I were using these lenses with an a99?  I'd really appreciate you sharing your insights/experiences.

I would also like to figure out how much of an investment each will be.  Here's what I was thinking of in terms of lenses for the a77: kit lenses (18-135 4.5-6 and 70-300 F4.5-6), Sony 16-50 F 2.8, and Sony 70-200 F2.8 (later).  And for the a99: kit lens Sony 2.8-75 F.2.8/Zeiss 24-70 F2.8 and Sony 70-200 F2.8

Does this sound about right?
I am mainly using my camera to take portraits, school events, hula, and chorus pics (some in a dark church and some in a dark theater with good stage lights).

Thanks for your help,

Roxanne

Yes the a99 is a much better camera than the a77. The EVF is better as it has a faster refresh noise levels is much lower. If you have never shot with a full frame not having a crop factor will take some getting use to. But I had rather have a full frame camera and a bag full of primes than a cropped sensor camera and a bag full of zooms. If the bottom line is image quality full frame is the way to go.

Hi Cosmonaut!

Could you explain what you mean by this?  My understanding is that if I took a picture with a crop and full frame side by side that the object in the full frame would be smaller.  To get it to be the same size I'd have to stretch the pixels, right?  How then do you get a clearer picture from the full frame?  Sorry I am really new to this and don't understand much.

Thanks!

Roxanne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow