Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Canon's 1.4 TC with Canon lenses
Apr 30, 2013

I am sure this has been done too death already, but I am thinking about buying the new Canon 1.4 TC but am unsure that the money will buy me anything.

I currently have a Kenko 1.4 TC that I bought several years ago. I rarely use it because I am not sure that the image I get when using it with my 100-400 is any better than what I get by cropping. In fact I suspect that the cropped and resized image is better than the one taken with the Kenko 1.4 TC when viewed 1:1.

The Canon 1.4 TC presumably is better but is it good enough to gain any benefit beyond what I would get by cropping. I would be using it with a 5D3.

Here are some photos I took yesterday using the naked 100-400 (at about 350mm) and with the Kenko TC. I have tried to crop the naked image to the same size as the Kenko-ed image and it seems to me that the cropped naked image is marginally better. The question is whether or not the Canon TC-ed image would be any better than the naked image cropped. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who have already done this test themselves and I am hoping that they are willing to share their experiences.

I have not bought this in the past because of focus issues, but with the issuance of the new Canon firmware the idea has popped back into my head.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow