Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
Re: Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.
In reply to Richard, Apr 30, 2013

Richard wrote:

I have been thinking it over. After seeing rattymouse post some figures how m4/3rds was declining in the US and how DSLRs crushed m4/3rds, I contemplated why. I came up with a good answer.

For a Canon t4i body price on B&H is $650
For the Oly OMD it is $950

Weight Canon 1.2 lbs
Oly just under 1lbs (15oz)

Standard lens Canon 50 1.4   $400 on sale right now $310  10 OZ

Zuiko 45 1.8  $400 on sale right now $350   4 OZ

A savings of $340 and 9 OZ more weight, neither fit in your pocket.

For the average use the Canon is the better deal. Sure a niche market person may pay extra for the oly but not the masses. This is not to say the masses are the smartest consumers but I know the canon works well enough for the average user.

I am thinking this is a good reason for the decline.

How many people buy a 70-200 2.8? Many only purchase the kit lens. Both can take great photographs on vacation, of the kids just about anything accept pro level stuff.

Canon and Nikion name and advertising play a big part ...probably more than any price of the lenses you stated (along with the kit lens only statement).

I just got back from three weeks in Asia and saw a total of one mirrorless camera (Nikon Jx). Every other tourist had Canon cameras with kit lens attached. The new lower level Canon SLR's are cheaper, have better IQ, have way many less "glitches", are proven and have that Canon name on them. Honestly, they aren't much bigger than many 43 now, especially with the kit lens compared to some of these lenses that are coming out for m43.

In my opinion, m43 only works when it is small, otherwise there is no reason for it ...and right now they are making the system bigger.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow