New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,952
Like?
Re: New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?
In reply to John Deerfield, Apr 30, 2013

John Deerfield wrote:

If I were starting from scratch today, my TTL system would undoubtably be Nikon flash units.

My 2nd flash system would be based on the power I need. At which point both shoe mount flashes and 400ws Rangers aren't enough!

For somebody who says they don't use TTL - you sure have specific requirements for the system you don't use.

And where will the Godox appear in your system? It is totally underpowered for your needs and doesn't have TTL at all... But, it's so cheap - you should obviously buy lots - or tell everybody else to buy lots - even if it doesn't fit any of your requirements !!?

As I said on my first line of this thread "The Godox has some interesting features, but to try and compare it to a Quantum with its capability of Manual, Auto, TTL, remote ratio and an integrated radio system controlling a range of 80Ws-400Ws is only a comparison of the skin and not the substance." So far, nobody is committed to this Godox system because it leaves a gapping hole in photographers requirements plugged only by Speedlights or Speedlites. As such it is restricted and is limited and its masquerade of being a Quantum is let down by its comparative lack of function. Of its interesting features, none have been mentioned - only price.

Could I manage using only a Manual system? Yes. Would I want to restrict myself in this way? No.

My location system today consists of kits of 80, 160 and 400Ws Quantum's. I have further Lumedynes which supplement this kit when required. They deliver everything I need for a location kit and can be configured to do anything I need to do. I don't need to plug any gaps, and if I was starting from scratch, I'd do exactly the same again because the configuration just works.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow