D7100 vs GH3

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 vs GH3ju
In reply to ajamils1, Apr 30, 2013

ajamils1 wrote:

archaic I meant that I did not feel that D7100 offered any innovation in terms of design, options or features. It looks very similar to D700, it has 24mpx sensor that is already available in D5200. It has 51 point AF system that is borrowed from another Nikon camera (D4 I believe). The only highlight that that you can (at least on paper) is the removal of low pass filter which does not seem to make any difference either.  That's why when compared to long feature list of GH3, D7100 felt archaic.

They only reason why the GF3 looks good is because m4/3 is so new that most technology used is new. Also, the sensor in the GF3 is featuring in other models (or it will soon). Sensor sharing between models is needed to bring down the cost. Yes, the focus system is from the D4. But hey, it is only the best damn focus system in any camera ever made that is full frame or smaller. You go and compare your keeper rate when doing moving subjects on your GF3 versus the Nikon.

And it is in fact not about the features. They're gimmicks. Some use them, others don't, and yet others will use a third-party solution (Nik Color Efex is waaaayyy better than those filters in the camera). What it is about is workflow and keeper rate. And arguably, the GF3 offers nothing that will guarantee a quicker workflow or a higher keeper rate than on the Nikon.

Go ahead and find it archaic. I would argue you're looking at the wrong things. Think of it as tried and tested technology instead

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow