More questiona about the a77 and a99

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 794Gear list
Like?
Re: More questiona about the a77 and a99
In reply to RoxanneY, Apr 30, 2013

I'm puzzled by all these comments that the A77 wouldn't be good enough for photographing performances by available light on a lit stage. From any distance. I've done plenty of stage performance shots with older generation cameras with much poorer high ISO noise performance than my A77. So have lots of professionals. I usually used prime lenses at around f2 to f4, but only because I haven't got a wide aperture zoom. And what do you think photographers did back in the days of film?

Of course it would be easier with a camera with the high ISO noise performance of an A99. If I was earning money as a a stage performance shooter I'd get the best camera for the job I could afford. But as an occasional & usually unpaid stage performance shooter I find my A77 luxuriously competent compared to what I was using six years ago. And if I wanted better low light performance I'd just buy a better lens. Much cheaper than going full frame!

Of course if you have plenty of money just throw it at the problem. But necessary? IMHO far from it.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow