Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,772
Like?
Re: I take it you are aware...
In reply to mgd43, Apr 30, 2013

mgd43 wrote:

DSLR and m4/3 cameras each have their advantages. It's up to the individual to decide what's most important to him/her. I was considering a m4/3 system to save weight as I got older and feebler, but to me the difference in size and weight between a m4/3 and the Nikon D3100 that I bought wasn't that great. The Olympus system (camera and 3 lenses) that I was considering would have saved about 2 pounds compared to the comparable Nikon system. I may be old and feeble, but 2 pounds wasn't enough to get me away from the Nikon system that I preferred for other reasons.

I just replaced the D3100 with a D5200 as my main camera. The D5200 weighs 2 or 3 ounces more than the D3100. That's still not enough to make the switch. Someday maybe a couple of pounds difference in weight may push me into a m4/3 system. Just not yet, but it's nice to have the choice.

Who says you have to have one or the other?  I shoot with both conventional Canon DSLRs and also Oly m4/3.  I like my DSLR gear, but it's significantly bigger and heavier than my m4/3 gear.  For example, I recently got the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye for m4/3.  This m4/3 fisheye is a mere 197g and is tiny.  Meanwhile, the Rokinon 8m fisheye for Canon DSLR weighs 429g and is almost like mounting a Coke can onto your camera.  They actually cost about the same, but I chose the fisheye for my m4/3 system over the fisheye for my Canon system because of the huge size differential.  A fisheye is not a lens you use all the time, so it's kind of a pain to have to carry it around just for the occasional use.  In fact, all the m4/3 lenses are so much smaller than their DSLR counterparts.  So with the tiny m4/3, it can easily slip the lenses into my pockets, and the whole camera is very inconspicuous.  On the other hand, when I want to be noticed as a photographer, that's what my Canon gear is for.

I have no intention of getting rid of my Canon DSLR gear any time soon, but I've been slowly growing my m4/3 system over the last couple years.  It's great to have both systems.  For work, I still shoot with my Canon DSLR gear, but for personal, casual, around-town shooting, I hate lugging around a DSLR.  It sticks out like a sore thumb, takes up more space, weighs more, and just makes me think twice about bringing it along...which is not what camera gear should make you be thinking.  A camera is no good if you leave it at home.  That's where my compact m4/3 come into play.  I never have to think twice about bringing it, and an extra lens or two.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow