Nikon 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR - what am I missing?

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR - what am I missing?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 30, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Aly Oops wrote:

But, I notice something funny, using the lens on the D800 store display.  When I set the aperture to 2.8 and then pressed the shutter switch 1/2 way, the aperture changed in viewfinder to 3.2.  This happen with object 4 feet away, but changed back to 2.8 when I refocus 6 feet or so away.

If you are shopping for the unit, watch out for this. Never seen this before. The sales clerk was implying that it is common, other brands exhibit the same thing with the D800 they said.

To myself, I totally did not believe that. It would be unacceptable as I would want that option at will. I walk away, deciding I wouldn't be buying anything from this camera chain store at all.

I would like to be inform of this when shopping for the unit.  So hope this info may be of use for you.

The effective f/stop changes when you move the lens farther away from the sensor. This is normal for any lens used for macro shooting. It is not an option. The laws of physics must be obeyed.

What Robin said! This applies to all lenses at macro distance.

It's just that the Nikon 105 VR is honest about this and reports it to the camera -- which is not the case for some other lenses. So the change you get in effective/resulting aperture is no different from other lenses used under similar conditions. They just don't tell the camera properly...

You could safely buy the lens from the store that told you this

It's a good lens (and I guess the OP has figured out his choice since this is a 9 mo old thread).

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow