Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 6,155
Like?
Re: Why m4/3rds is declining in the US.
In reply to Richard, Apr 30, 2013

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I don't think the average purchaser of cameras in that price range knows about, or gives a rip, about DR.   I think it is because m4:3 cameras are funny looking. And to top it off they are afraid they won't impress their friends who want to see you lugging around HUGE WHITE lenses for them to be properly impressed.

In Japan, "Hello Kitty" reigns supreme, in the US, it's big white lenses.  Its all good.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Yes, the mine is bigger than yours and it is white syndrome, could be a reason but do the people in the $1000 price range camera really know about Pro cameras and big white lenses?

to the extent they see sports photographers and wedding photographers etc at work and probably did a quite look through this web site before buying. I think you under estimate the folks who are plunking down a grand for a camera. I think they are far more serious then you give them credit for. A thousand dollars is still a big ticket item for most of us. Yes I think the have come to some information and now need to make decisions based on their pocket books and the unknown of how well they will really like the slr experience,

While it may be a tad off the wall there is a certain panache to the big pro looking dslr, plus it is for many a new commer comming from his old film days a more familiar platforme.

I am lucky in that I use a double frame camera and a  micro 4/3 camera. I find my full frame does deliver more dr and more detail but for almost all my photographic situations this is not an issue. what is more the issue is my ff and the 21mm lens is gloriously wide with almost zero distortion and very sharp. My 4/3 camera prime lens is also a stellar performer. I like both but then I am a photo fluzzy.

as to why micro 4/3 is in decline in sales here in the usa on would also need to know what kinds of margin the importers and manufacturers are giving them. My guess is that for Canon and Nikon the margin is very good for the retailer as canon can sell very close to cost and make money and hopfully hook a new customer into thier lens system. Micro 4/3 with much lower sales to start cannot afford to sell dealers thier cameras for the razor thin margins the big two can.

in addition to the ecconomics above I suspect the real culprit here is the big mobile phones are now replacing the need for a second camera for dslr guys looking for  a second smaller camera

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow