Veteran MemberPosts: 3,249
Like?
Re: Bad marketing possibly
In reply to Richard, Apr 30, 2013

Richard wrote:

mgd43 wrote:

Richard wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

I am more curious as to why in the US there is a decline and why not in other countries. there must be a reason. Hopefully it is not the mine is bigger than yours reason.

I think that one reason for DSLR's popularity compared to m4/3 is familiarity. Newbies know that Nikon and Canon make good cameras. They see pros and friends using them, and they are promoted on TV and in the media in general. But to many people Panasonic makes TV's and Olympus is where the Greek gods live. Familiarity is a very important factor in marketing.

Perhaps poor marketing for Oly. I thought I remember a commercial with Kevin Spacey, they shown several different versions of it.

I thought it was stupid because it is the same thing I see in many 4/3rds people here. The commercial is defensive, it tries to say look at me but at the same time put down DSLR, just like here.

http://youtu.be/_Ilh78Mw7Jc

This commercial was interesting as it starts with 'I don't want to be a camera guy' and ends with 'don't be a tourist' . The camera guy is supposed to be the guy who has lots of gear and possible who knows how to take photos (like there are lots of camera guy here) and a tourist who supposed to be not that camera guy because he travels around (supposed to be with a camera in hand). So message is confusing as to what these m43 users must be.

Indeed it is true too if you look at m43 forums, they try not to be camera guy (can't stop badmouthing dslrs) , but jump on to buy any new camera or lens that company has to produce. They argue about the vast lens selection in m43 format and have few of the lenses themselves. They also carry their gear in camera bags. If you call them tourists they will take offence.

If m43 forum is any clue, they really still are that camera guy that Kevin was talking about.

First thing he does is put down DSLR owners.. "I don't want to be the camera guy" well guess what Kevin, you are the camera guy, you pull out lenses from your pocket and swtich them (but we know you really aren't a camera guy because you just put a bunch of pocket lint in your camera and the lens you just put on was from your back pocket after you sat down for your break)

Oly users are cool, DSLR camera guys are geeks. "I don't want to be that guy" but there you are changing lenses, just you don't have a selection of 16 lenses because back then there weren't 16 lenses you could buy.

"I want to be something different"  like owning an Oly will change your status, personality? Maybe people don't buy Oly because of this commercial.

Then the final blow to every human that has ever taken a camera on vacation with them. "Don't be a tourist" Like because you have a smaller camera but you still are standing there swapping lenses is going to make you look any less like a tourist.

This may be the decline or perhaps the end of 4/3rds, or maybe just Oly.

But good point, could be bad marketing, trying to appeal to the timid people that don't want to be the camera guy switching lenses and gets a point and shoot.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NEXNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow