Re: Camera System?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 30, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Hi Mark,

Respect your opnion.

But the move to have a third party make your sensors is not a wise move imo.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Mike, there is a tremendous advantage to the economics of trade, but also consider, companies like Nikon and Pentax don't totally farm out their sensors. They often design and put the fabrication out for bid. Many of the fabrication manufacturers use Nikon steppers to create the wafers. For example Sony Imaging and Nikon have a long time history of sharing technology and Sony uses a lot of Nikon steppers in production. There are a lot of advantages to this.

Pentax does much the same thing though Pentax doesn't have a stepper business. Steppers are the equipment that engraves the silicon. It's an optical device that requires a very high level of optical excellence. Nikon is one of the leading manufacturers of steppers. There's no reason for a company to do all of this and not farm out to sub-contractors.

Canon also makes steppers, but doesn't tend to sub-contract much. I think this has hurt it's sensor design and held it back some.

Many of Sony's sensor innovations has been brilliant and combined with some of Nikon's sensor patents has created some of the best high ISO sensors ever made. It's been a good partnership for both of them.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Craig you know a thing or two about photography and and gear so I am not argueing you.

You prolly figured that.

But Canon seems to keep everything in house, not a bad tactic imo.

As long you make it work of course.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Hey pal, you can argue with me all you want. I'd never take it amiss coming from you or other polite people on these forums.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Don't want to argue with anybody ,I want to take pictures and chat about those as (my) gear as well.

And with advise like I get from people like you I become a better phographer in a shorter time span.

Still plenty to learn, still fun

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow