How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
twald
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: How to properly compare RX-100 and NEX-6 kit high ISO noise?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Apr 30, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

The only thing I see in these two "as metered" images is that the NEX and RX-100 metering systems are very different. The RX-100 is clearly more center-weighted than the NEX, and read deep into the shadowed hallway. And the reciprocity of the two sensors are very different.

Proof: The extreme left wall is overexposed in the RX-100 but properly exposed in the NEX.

The faster maximum aperture on the RX-100 allowed the software designer to develop a totally different exposure algorithm because he KNEW the lens would never change on the RX-100. That knowledge enables totally different tradeoffs.

The designer of the NEX could make no such assumption.

"Reciprocity" - which those of us from the film era knew well - is key to dynamic range in sensors as well as film. The sensitivity of sensors and film is not linear. The NEX "jams" the reciprocity curve on only one factor, because it cannot open to an aperture wider than f3.5. That forces the worst case for the reciprocity of the NEX sensor. The RX-100 faces no such single-factor jam.

This is especially prejudicial because you allowed the cameras to "choose" ISO 3200, which has a horrible dynamic range - anyone who has actually shot much at ISO 3200 understands that it's horrific on subjects with considerable peak-to-trough lighting challenges. Again, you jam the test against the NEX, but favor the RX-100 because it can admit more light.

These tests are absurd on the face of it, anyway. One device is an optimized tiny camera that is best of class. The other is an interchangeable lens mirrorless that is, in the opinion of all but the MFT crowd, best of class. Comparing the NEX and RX-100 is as absurd as if someone with a digital Hasselblad came came onto the forum and said, "let's compare." To which I'd say, "sure, I'll put my RX-100 in my pocket, you put your Hasselblad in yours, and let's go test cameras."

Anyone for actually taking photos instead of optical arm-wrestling?

NEX-6 with 50mm Summicron, f2.8

Very nice picture! This illustrates the key difference between the two systems. I understand why you feel it is absurd to compare the two systems, however ...

Most people who have a nex do not have a Summicron to attach to it. Your Hasselblad simile doesn't quite make sense because the 5n + kit lens can be had for less than a new rx100. Add to it the fact that they are both very small cameras when compared to almost everything else, and you should see why people compare the two.

On the fact that I "let the camera choose the ISO": there is no other option. Should I have used a lower ISO or higher?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow