Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dNick33
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
SAL1650 flare (and vs Zeiss 16-35)
Apr 30, 2013

I have an A77 and the SAL1650 lens. Generally I'm pretty happy with the combination, but with one major dislike. My SAL1650 flares HORRIBLY. I don't know if it's my copy or a general thing - it gets a 4.48 flare control on dyxum, which is higher than my Sigma 10-20 (rated lower at 4.11), which is what I always end up swapping to when the sun is in the frame, above the horizon. With that I get pretty nice results. I recently saw the two sunset photos here..

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=3297

..and it made me look at this lens. Ironically it only gets a 4.38 flare control rating, but there's no way I could do anything like this with my SAL1650. I get a big blob around the sun (which definitely flare and not over-exposure) and multiple flares off to the side if I don't place the sun dead in the center!

So... do I have a bad copy, or is there a reason why the SAL1650 is so much worse? What are other people's experiences with this lens? For those of you who have used both, is the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2,8/16-35 ZA significantly better in this regard, or would I just be paying for the fact that it can do full frame - it's certainly not cheap!

Thanks,

Nick

dNick33's gear list:dNick33's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow